sd main logo

Commanders, a wargame digest


Terrain building

Latex fields from TimeCast

These are handy things, light, small and easy to store, but set a couple out close together and they look really good and blend easily with the overall table.

They arrive as plain raw latex, but are very easy to paint with acrylics. I have just used a very dark brown (mixed with black) base, dry brushed with a mid brown and then flocked (onto PVA) with whatever materials gives the right look.

A quick blast of fixative (or hairspray!) and they are ready to do good service. A good thing about them is that they hug the ground so that associated fencing and walls still look a decent height when placed next to them. 

15mm Windmill

A Rather nice resin model from Ironclad Miniatures called ‘Russian Windmill’, though I don’t think this would look out of place on a European battlefield.

It comes in 10 parts, with five of those being the four sails and the anchor block that they fit into. 

With the sails in the position that I have them, the model measures 10cc at its widest point and 10cm at the tallest. I have attached it to an 80mm x 60mm MDF base.

Building a redoubt

Recently buying some pre-formed rubber board planking for lining the walls of such things as trenches and entrenchments, I wanted a representative redoubt that would hold two artillery or infantry bases.

The main structure was built up around a balsa wood form and the floor was given a wooden planking look with good old coffee stirrers.

There is a construction post over on the blog. LINK

Needing bigger trees.

During a tidy up, I came across a box of trees that had been collected for some 20mm / 28mm gaming and they were in various states of completion and condition. Getting them all together, I refurbished them as a group.

All the clump foliage type trees got a spray of watered down PVA to strengthen them. All of the nylon bristle type trees that were showing some wear, were sprayed with that glue that is used for mounting photographs and then were rolled in Scenic Woodland course turf to re-flock them.

Finally, I had some large plastic armatures from Woodlands Scenics and I have never had much luck with getting clump foliage to stick properly to these, so looking for an alternative, I used a hot glue gun to stick that moss lichen to the branches, which acts like a bulking material. These then had thinned PVA glue sprayed on them to firm them and allowed to fully dry.

Once dry, they were sprayed with the photo glue and then rolled in the course turf, which conceals the moss texture and instead gives a finer ‘clump foliage’ type look, that is quite passable as a tree. The only downside to this, despite the PVA glue, is that the lichen remains a bit spongy, so needs a bit of gentle handling and someone else on a forum suggested that the lichen will dry out and degrade over time, so I will keep an eye on this. Tap on the photo for an enlargmenet, the tress on the lower right are lichen based.

Everything once done was given a couple of coats of hairspray as a fixative. Anyway for a relatively small amount of time / work, these should give quite a presence on the table for some time to come.